Sunday 6 January 2008

The promise outlined in my last entry seems to have borne fruit. I have a signature from a new UWDC prospect, but afew details are outstanding. Singular, individual needs are always instructive; I must never regard them as an impediment. The lunch, tea, stopover and breakfast at the Lawleys were magnificent and the milonga last night was quite beautiful. I am fully revived after a refreshing siesta. This last followed Epiphany at Southwell and a buffet lunch at Anne's.

Jean must be great at her jobs, both psycho. and CAB. She is calm and understanding and has a terrific sense of humour. She knows her own mind, but I doubt she could be surprised, still less knocked off balance, by meeting minds many worlds away from her own.

Trad. roast lunch is a rare treat for me, and boy was I royally treated chez Lawleys. Peter is right about the erratic nature of 'Paradise Delayed'. That all this Biblical stuff is beyond his ken is, for me, an advantage. If I have failed to communicate clearly to him (and failed I have in more than one area) then that first draft needs much reshaping, direction and clarification.

I shall concentrate on the absurdity of the notion of a sacred text per se. At present that is in the book, but is not a driving theme. It must be as prominent as the recurrence of the 'Paradise Lost - degradation - violent crisis and purge - Paradise Regained' predetermined sequence of world history that is the basis of all the credos in the book.

I look forward to increasing my tango vocab. but it was fulfilling last night to dance but simply with Alison, Maria, Rosemary, Tracey, Sam, Lisa and Katya. On the dance floor my anxiety about money, or indeed anything else, evaporates. Without dancing, tension, destructive tension, could only build; no wonder my fortnight's absence from the dance floor had a depressing effect.

Katya has more reason than me to feel wound up. Without a residence permit she cannot pursue her research fellowship at Nottingham University; but she cannot return to Hamburg to tie up essential loose ends with her research team colleagues as that would deny her any eligibility to gain rights of UK residence. Frustration dissipates on the dance floor. Neither of us is expert at the Milonga, but we were very together, with both each other and with the music.

Sandwiched between last night's tango music and the salsa CDs later tonight, were Herbert Sumsion's Mass and Peter Warlock's 'On Bethlehem Down'. A joy it was to participate in that chromatic feast, especially as my voice has largely returned. The post service buffet feast at Anne's was a joy likewise. A 'tangomango' message has just now popped up so I shall now sign off and read it.

No comments: